Friday, June 24, 2011

Fixing the Mummmy Tummy!

I've had the dreaded Mummy Tummy going on 5 years now. I really haven't put much effort in trying to get rid of it because honestly I really didn't think much could help. I gained 50lb. when I got pregnant and lost it very quickly, which did wonders for my tummy.  I've had the excess fat and loose skin on my abdomen for the past 5 years and I'm not overweight. I've considered having a tummy tuck or other type of laser-fat-reducing-skin shrinking work done to myself. I don't really have the money to have any procedures done and I knew there had to be some way to get rid of my Mummy Tummy.


So, I started doing these Diastasis exercises every day and have been doing so for the past month. I can honestly say I can see a difference. I actually wore a bikini to the pool the other day for the first time since before I became pregnant , something I thought I would never do again. My tummy is nowhere near looking like a Victoria Secret model, but for me it is an improvement. I wanted to share this because it really had made a difference in my tummy and made me feel better about my body. 


How to Get Rid of Your Mummy Tummy
by Julie Tupler, a Registered Nurse, Certified Trainer and Childbirth Educator

How to Fix a Diastasis (and Lose that Mummy Tummy!)
The most important thing you need to do is strengthen the transverse muscle in a sitting position. This is the missing link in all abdominal work!

You can do one of the seated exercises (called the elevator) while watching TV or driving in a car. (Just make sure your back is supported and does not move while doing the exercises.)

• Put your hands on your belly so you can tell that the muscles are going back towards your spine.
• Now imagine you are bringing your belly button to your inner spine.
• Hold it there for the count of 30. Count out loud as it forces you to breathe.
• Now close your eyes and imagine that your belly button is going from your inner spine to your outer spine. It is a little isometric squeeze.
• After you squeeze remember to keep it at your inner spine.
• Do 10 of these little squeezes as you count out loud.
• End with a big belly breath.
(You should feel this in your back.) *I do feel it in my back when I do it.
Do 10 of these exercises every day.









*Disclaimer.  A healty diet and a regular cardio program will help you lose the layer of fat over your abdominal muscles.  The combination of diet, cardio and the Diastasis exercise should really make a difference in your tummy and also the rest of your body...granted you didn't have quintuplets or anything.  LOL!  I also wanted to add that I am not a licensed fitness trainer and you should consult your doctor's advice before starting any exercise program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...